Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Rose Garden

I wanted to share this conversation my friend and I had somewhere, so I thought I would do it here, because, why not?

So, she is working on a major in art, and I sent her one of my photographs because I thought she would like it.  After she messed with it a little bit and sent it back to me, we got started talking about what "art" is.  I said that I didn't really think what I was doing was "art" as I feel I'm not creating much, just noticing beautiful things and sharing them with the world.  She disagreed, and explained how that pretty much was what art is.  How each person sees the world in a different way, notices different things, and sharing what we see is art.  I thought this was really cool, and it reminded me of a visit to the rose gardens near my house.  The gardens were filled with people, many of which had come with cameras to photograph the flowers, just like I had.  What I thought was really interesting was that each of these people was taking pictures of different things.  She liked this story, and together we kind of came up with this metaphor.  That rose garden is like the world.  It is beautiful, but each person will have their own way of viewing and sharing that beauty, so each photographer focused on different things.

I decided to take this one step further, saying that in a way, everything then becomes art.  As each person works, no matter what they are doing, they are adding their own beauty to the world, and they are sharing that beauty with others.  I kind of focused on science being art, as I am working to be and astronomer so that was were my mind went.  But it just fits so well, as scientist look at the world, they see a beauty different to that artists may see, but in so many ways, with my friend's definition, it is still art.

I guess the point of this post is just to tell people to keep seeing beauty in the world, no matter what that means to you.  And share it, because no one sees things the same way you do, and it is always incredible to learn what others view as beauty.

No comments:

Post a Comment